The Misadventures of Crankee.



Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Busted Ribs

So, a couple of Sunday afternoons back, I had one of those off rides and managed two pretty good crashes.   The second one I managed to beat the crap out of my right side rib cage.  I had parked at Powhite Park, rode over to Buttermilk West, did a full lap around the JRPS loop, then returned on BM west back to Powhite.  My first crash was heading west on Buttermilk down near 22nd St..  It was on the little rooty step up section with the turn where the trail splits and you have two trail options.  This section has given me a little trouble in the past, but lately I have had it handled.  On the single speed, I usually hit it pretty fast and muscle through it.  Well, on this ride I somehow managed to plant the front wheel and endo.  Wasn't a full endo and I kind of caught one of the trees.  The worst  of it was that the end of the Mary Bar jabbed right into my left hip joint.  It hurt pretty bad, but I walked around a few minutes, brushed myself off, and tried the section again.  It took me two more tries to make it through.  Just one of those days.  It did seem that the recent rain had washed away a little loose dirt that had accumulated during the dry period making a little bit of a hole before the first root.
Anyway, slightly discombobulated and battered, I continued on.  Surprisingly had no problems on the techy Buttermilk Heights section.  On to Buttermilk West.  There is a section where the trail goes through a narrow passage between a rock cliff and a big boulder.  Cliff on left, boulder on right in the westerly direction.  As you pass through you are also climbing on rocks.  I managed to spin the rear wheel and fall right over the jagged boulder.  My rib cage took the full hit and I nearly had the wind knocked out of me.  Me and bike continued over into a bunch of vines and stuff.  It took me a good while to crawl out of there and I had to walk around for a few minutes.  I was finally able to get on and limp it back to the truck at Powhite. 
  I didn't realise at the time how bad I had busted the ribs.  Now, going on three weeks later they still hurt.  At first, everything hurt them, even breathing.  I was able to work and function but with lots of pain.  A sneeze or good cough may have killed me.  I sneezed a couple of days ago and it felt like getting stabbed with a big knife.  Now, the worst part is trying to get comfortable and sleep at night.  Trying not to abuse Ibuprofen too much.  I still fear sneezing and laughing still hurts pretty bad.  I've only been on the MTB once since and it was a non technical ride on fire roads.  I have gotten in a couple of rides on the cross bike. 
  All injuries suck, but these sore ribs are a nuisance.  I have heard that it can take several weeks or months to completely heal.  I had busted my ribs several years ago up at one of the Lodi 12 hour races.  It took about a month then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment