The Misadventures of Crankee.



Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Simplify

  So, the older I get, the more I realize that I like things simple.  Lately I've been simplifying a lot of things.  Mankind seems to have a way of overcomplicating just about everything.  The motivation or reasoning is usually to make things better or easier.  Is this always the result?  Maybe sometimes.  But other times complicating things just creates more stuff to deal with.
  Here are a couple of examples of how I have attempted to simplify certain things:
a)  My mountain bike- Lately I have been running my mtb single speed and fully rigid.  A fully rigid bike requires next to no maintenance.  There is not much left to break or adjust.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with fancy, clunky, rattleing pieces and parts, but to me there is something appealing about a simple, clean, basic machine.

b)  Another area that I have simplified is camping.  I have been camping for a long time.  I camped for years in a deluxe RV with every ammenity you can imagine.  This was mainly for the family.  With all the fanciness comes a lot of hassle and complication.    Over the last few years I have gotten much more basic with camping, and even got the family to go along with it.  I even got them to go backpacking a few times.  Hard to beat the simplicity of carrying everything you need in a pack on your back.  Also, this summer I got a couple of hammock tents.  A couple of friends  already had hammocks, so I was able to check them out and get input.  Hammocks are the ultimate in simplicity. 

c)  On a smaller scale, the real santa (in a brown suit) brought my new bike light today.  When picking out the new light, simplicity was a major factor.  There were brighter lights and even cheaper, brighter lights, but the one I got is completely self contained.  No wires or external batteries to mess with.  It doesn't even have a seperate charger just a usb chord that plugs into the computer.  It is super light at 130 grams.  I can leave the helmet mount in place all the time and just pop on the light when necessary.  Nothing to mount, no wiring to rig up.   Always ready, day or night.  Since it is on the helmet, I can use it when riding the mtb or cross bike.  Its small enough to throw in the pack or jersey pocket.  Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment